Monday, September 13, 2010

Frozen Dinners: Lasagna with "Meat"


I like to categorize Vegetarians into two groups: Those who love fake-meat, and those who avoid it. I am an avid fake-meat lover. Therefore, MorningStar Farm's new line of frozen entrees sparked an interest for me. While there are a number of vegetarian dinners on the market, very few contain fake-meat as part of their balanced meals.
Tonight, I excitedly dove into MorningStar's "Lasagna with Sausage-Style Crumbles", but perhaps I went into it with my hopes set too high. The sausage crumbles didn't have a strong enough flavor to compete with the roasted-tomato flavor of the sauce. The veggies tasted bland, and well...frozen. And while the ricotta & cream cheese blend was rich and decadent, it didn't blend well with the rest of the dish. On the flip side, I do applaud their efforts to use low-fat cheeses and a multi-grain pasta blend, creating a lasagna with only 6g of fat and a nice 6g of fiber.I'd buy it again if it's on sale, and in the meantime I'll stick to my favorite fake-meat-less frozen lasagnas - Michaelangelo's Vegetable Lasagna and Amy's Vegetable Lasagna ... with either of these choices, you won't even miss the crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment